4-t-Octylphenol is an industrial chemical used to make rubber products, such as tires. It is also used to make detergents and other products, such as adhesives and inks.
4-t-Octylphenol is found in
- Rubber products, like tires.
- Recycled rubber products, including artificial turf for athletic fields and playgrounds and rubber gardening mulch.
- Some detergents, adhesives, inks, paints, and varnishes.
Possible health concerns of 4-t-octylphenol
Scientists are still studying how 4-t-octylphenol may affect people’s health. There is concern that 4-t-octylphenol:
- May interfere with the body’s natural hormones.
- May affect the reproductive system.
Possible ways to reduce exposure to 4-t-octylphenol
- Based on studies conducted so far, exposure to 4-t-octylphenol is expected to be very low for most people.
- No actions are suggested to reduce exposure.
Biomonitoring California Information
Documents, Presentations, and Publications:
- 4-t-Octylphenol Fact Sheet | Fact sheet | 01/31/2013: 4-t-OctylphenolFactSheet.pdf